Posted by John Byrne at 11:33 a.m.
Two Wrigley Field concerts set for September got the go-ahead today from the Chicago City Council.
The Cubs have not announced who will play at the ballpark Friday, Sept. 17, and Saturday, Sept. 18. The Dave Matthews Band, Paul McCartney and Phish are potential performers, sources have said.
Aldermen adopted the ordinance without discussion today. Last week, Ald. Tom Tunney, 44th, asked the council’s License Committee to approve the measure, which allows the team two additional night events beyond the 30 night baseball games allotted each year.
“We have met with and have letters of support from various residential groups and also chambers of commerce,” Tunney said at the time.
The License Committee deferred action last week on a plan for a July 7 Wrigley Field concert after prospective performers Elton John and Billy Joel announced they would not be touring this summer.
Michael Lufrano, vice president of community affairs for the Cubs, said the team still hopes to find a group to play at the stadium in July.