Although opening day for the Chicago Cubs is still three months away, team officials released a plan Saturday detailing heightened security measures at Wrigley Field in wake of worldwide terror attacks.
Crane Kenney, the President of Business Operations for the Cubs, outlined the enhanced security protocols during the team’s annual convention, which was held at the Sheraton Grand Chicago over the weekend.
“When you come into the ballpark next year, unfortunately we are going to have to take you through metal detectors,” said Kenney. It would be the first time the machines will be installed at Wrigley Field ever, according to Kenny.
“Large venues like Wrigley Field and any large venue are targets,” said Kenney. “We gotta do everything we can to protect you, our fans, and our players and our neighborhood.”
The Cubs also asked the city for help controlling 100 feet in every direction around the ballpark, according to Kenney. The proposal would mean closing Clark and Addison to most vehicles on game days.
“That doesn’t mean we want to own 100 feet in every direction,” said Kenney. “But we do want to know who is there and what driving and why they’re there.”
Fans will also see a third security upgrade inside the field. Additional netting will be added to protect people in the stands, according to Kenney. The MLB last year recommended that all 30 clubs have protective netting between the dugouts for any field-level seats within 70 feet of home plate.
Friday afternoon game times will also change. The 3:05 p.m. start time will be moved up to 1:20 p.m., according to the Cubs. Manager Joe Maddon pushed for the new schedule with a goal to combat inconsistency in order to help players better prepare for games.
The Cubs will play the Reds during their home opener on April 11.