The four-year plan to upgrade Wrigley and the surrounding area is just getting started, and the Cubs — and the fans — will have a front-row seat throughout. The Cubs have laid out a plan in four phases, though the team has said work could extend into a fifth year. Here is a breakdown of what work is planned over the course of the project.
PHASE 1: 2015 SEASON
- Third-base side concourse: Structural steel and concrete foundation work from Waveland (Gate K) to home plate.
- Video boards and signs: A 3,990-square-foot video board in left-field, a 2,400-square-foot board in right field and other signs are also being installed.
- Move outer walls: The outer walls will be moved outward to where sidewalk along Waveland and Sheffield avenues used to be.
- Bleachers: There will be 300 seats and 300 standing positions added to the bleacher deck along with new concessions under the bleachers.
PHASE 2: 2016 SEASON
- Home clubhouse: The new 30,000-square-foot clubhouse will be located below the plaza. It will include new locker rooms, a strength and conditioning center, training areas, media center, offices and a player lounge.
- Old home clubhouse area: New dugout, batting tunnels, auditorium and office space.
- New bullpens: Relocated below the bleachers.
- Old bullpens: New seats will be added to this area.
- New outdoor upper-level concourse: Rebuilt with concessions and bathrooms. New seats and concrete will replace the old concourse level.
- New seating: New outdoor area in the upper-level, along with new concessions and bathrooms.
- Premium-seating clubs: New home-plate club and third-base club for premium and season-ticket holders.
PHASE 3: 2017 SEASON
- Third-base side: New outdoor concourse.
- Upper-deck club: New upper-deck club for season ticket holders and customizable expansion of luxury suites.
- First-base side: New umpires’ room, improved visitor clubhouse, concourse improvements, club space and mascot room.
PHASE 4: 2018 SEASON
- Open-air plaza: Retail shops for fans year-round.
- New office: Building at the north end of the plaza will house Cubs offices and retail shops.
- Upper-level press box: Renovated with new seats, concessions and bathrooms.
- Starwood Hotel: New 175-room, hotel with 40,000-square-foot health club, retail shops and concessions.
- Retail complex: New two-story, 9,000 square-foot retail and entertainment complex where Captain Morgan Club used to be.
- First-base concourse: Completion of remaining work.